Our philosophy and methods follows by Dr. Suzuki and Shirley Givens.
The essence of his philosophy may be found in the following quotes from his many writings:
"Character first, ability second".
"Musical ability is not an inborn talent but an ability which can be developed. Any child who is properly trained can develop musical ability just as all children develop the ability to speak their mother tongue. The potential of every child is unlimited".
"Teaching music is not my main purpose. I want to make good citizens, noble human beings. If a child hears fine music from the day of his birth, and learns to play it himself, he develops sensitivity, discipline and endurance. He gets beautiful heart."
"Where love is deep, much will be accomplished."
"My dream is for the happiness of all children. I feel respect and friendly feelings for everyone. In particular, I cannot help but feel respect and warm feelings for young children. And my heart brims over with a desire to help make all the children born upon the earth fine human beings, happy people, people of superior ability. My whole life energies are devoted to this end."
"Man is the son of his environment."
"I have no doubt that people are born with hereditary physiological differences, but I believe that a person's abilities grow and develop depending on the stimulation from outside."
"I firmly believe that any child can become superior, and my confidence has never been betrayed."
"An unlimited amount of ability can develop when parent and child are having fun together."
"Music is a language that goes beyond speech and letters - a living art that is almost mystical. This is where its emotional impact comes in. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven - without exception they live clearly and palpably in their music, and speak forcefully to us, purifying us, refining us, and awakening in us the highest joy and emotion."
PAYMENT POLICY (UPDATED)
Tuition must be prepaid for periods of either a full semester (20 weeks), half semester (10 weeks), or a minimum of one month; not weekly, as-you-go, etc. Payment for the entire period (month, half- or full-semester) is due no later than the beginning of the first lesson of that period. A $50 late payment fee will be added when the payment didn't make it more than a month (NO exception).
PAYMENT METHODS (UPDATED)
Sunnyside String School and all of its staff will no longer be accepting cash as a form of payment. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. By both the necessity of fully utilizing the website system, and to avoid past confusion and lack of payment documentation, this is a determination the school needed to make. All the other convenient payments methods still exist, of course. These are:
1. By check (drop off)
Please do not give your check to your teacher. Due to resulting confusion this has caused parents to get much-delayed credit for their payments. Rather, drop off the check in the gray metal mail box under the Sunnyside String School message board, which is visible as you enter the (outer) front door of All Saints Church. Note: make checks payable to Sunnyside String School.
2. By check (mail)
Mail the check to 39-63 43rd Street #2, Sunnyside, NY 11104. Note: make checks payable to Sunnyside String School.
This includes credit cards and Paypal. Register and log in to this website and pay through under "Billing" -" make online payment" : (If you are not sure the amount you owe, notify me for further instructions).
CANCELLATION POLICY UPDATED
Sunnyside String School's has updated its cancellation policy to address concerns and requests for further clarification from both parents and staff. Please review it carefully as there are several new important changes introduced:
1. A scheduled lesson is defined as a weekly lesson occurring on a student's regular day/time slot, determined at the beginning of the semester.
2. Should a student not be able to attend any scheduled lesson, parent/guardian must contact their child's teacher directly (not the school), and receive a response at least 24 hours prior to scheduled lesson. Cancellation on the day will be consider as missed which means the parents are obligated to pay the teacher's lesson scheduled time.
3. The only acceptable contact methods are to the teacher's phone (either by speaking, voice mail, or text); or to the teacher's email (only with at least 24 hours notice).
4. Parent/guardian requesting cancellation must receive a response from their teacher at least 24 hours before scheduled lesson, in order to be entitled to a rescheduled (“make-up”) lesson.
5. For cancellation requests not confirmed in the above manner, it will be at the teacher's discretion whether or not to allow lesson to be rescheduled. Therefore it is crucial that a parent/guardian give their teacher as much notice as possible for cancellations, and to make every attempt to reach the teacher.
6. A maximum of three canceled lessons may be rescheduled per semester. These include lessons canceled for any reason (emergency, sickness, weather, etc). Any and all canceled lessons beyond the first three will not be rescheduled or refunded for any reason.
7. In the event of a teacher’s absence, the teacher is responsible to contact the student directly in advance (except in the case of an emergency) and arrange for a make-up lesson at a future date. Should issues arise in rescheduling please contact the school.
8. For any enrichment program refund, there will be one trial day (paid) is allowed and the parents has to decide whether she/he should continue or not for the rest of semester. Since they commit to the semester, there will be 50% refund available after the first day and no refund after the second day.
Frequent Q & A's
Have a question? Find an answer on this page.
Q: HOW LONG ARE THE PRIVATE LESSONS?
A: Lessons range between 30, 45, and 60 minutes, depending on which you choose.
Q: WHAT TYPE OF INSTRUMENTAL LESSONS DO YOU OFFER?
A: We offer individual one-on-one lessons and group lessons.
Q: WHAT ARE THE SCHOOL’S HOURS?
A: Monday-Friday 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM; Saturday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Q: CAN I CHOOSE THE TEACHER FOR MY CHILD?
A: Yes, you can.
Q: WHAT IS THE TEACHER’S EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND?
A: All the teachers are highly experienced, qualified in teaching and most of them holds Bachelor’s or Master’s in Music from major universities.
Q: DO YOU OFFER INSTRUMENTS FOR STUDENTS TO USE?
A: We offer violin or cello rental services with a monthly fee (violin-$10/month, cello-$15/month).
Q: CAN I CHOOSE THE DAY AND TIME TO COME FOR A LESSON?
A: Yes, we try our best to suit your schedule along with your preferred teacher. However, popular time slots fill-up quickly; please book your lesson time early.
Q: DO STUDENTS HAVE PUBLIC PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES?
A: We provide student concerts at least once in every semester.
Q: HOW OFTEN DO I TAKE LESSONS?
A: Most of people choose once or twice a week for their lessons. However, we can also accommodate students request for additional times per week.
Q: WHEN CAN I START TAKING LESSONS?
A: At any time. As FYI, our Fall Semester runs for 15 weeks (September – December), Spring Semester runs for 20 weeks, and Summer Semester for 8 weeks (July-August). Since most of the lessons are in a private one-on-one setting, students can choose to start their lessons at any point in the semester.
Q: WHAT METHOD OF TEACHING DOES THE FACULTY PROVIDE?
A: We incorporate a combination of European, Mark O’Connor, Adventures in Violinland/Cello Country as well as the Suzuki method. We believe that all styles excel in different areas. We believe by blending the best methods, it provides for a faster and more satisfying learning process.
Q: WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF GETTING ENROLLED?
A: Registration is on first come first serve basis. You will need to fill out our school registration form at our website, and call to make an appointment for a trial lesson. After the trial lesson, you can pay the tuition to our school through the website.
Q: CAN I GET A FREE INTRODUCTORY LESSON TO MAKE SURE I LIKE THE SCHOOL?
A: Yes, please call to make an appointment for a trial lesson.
Q: WHAT TYPES OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
A: We accept Cash, Check or Visa/Master Card. All checks should be made payable to “Sunnyside String School” by the first scheduled lessons.
Q: WHAT IF WE DECIDE TO DISCONTINUE TO TAKE MUSIC LESSON, DO YOU OFFER A REFUND FOR NEW STUDENT?
— day 1 through 4: New students receive a FULL refund for all remaining lessons paid for. Notice letter be given by the end of the third lesson.
— day 5 through the end: There is no refund.
Q: WHERE IS THE SCHOOL LOCATED?
A: We are conveniently located in the heart of Sunnyside on 46th street, between Queens Blvd and 43rd Ave. Our school is currently renting space from All Saints Episcopal Church, 43-12 46th Street, Sunnyside NY 11104